Voting Rating:

Friday, October 7, 2011

Here's a challenge for my writery friends: Describe the kind of kid who would draw this picture

Just in case you can't tell, that is a bus screaming, "Aaaa." Why? Because of the wolf perched on top of it with blood dripping from its fangs. Got it? Good. Now go. Then come back when you're done because I'm going to describe the kid who actually did draw it.


She is my Girl 3 and six years ago this week, she looked like this:

But now she looks like this:

And this is the picture we sent out in her birth announcement:

But this is the one we should have sent out:


Because, lo these six years, her sisters have been pretty convinced she is the favorite child. And according to a recent Time magazine article, they may be right.

She certainly brought  a new level of joy to our family when she was born. And she still does--despite the occasional screaming and all too frequent whistling.

I'll admit it, some days she is my favorite. Especially when she skips and twirls. Oh, how I love the skipping and twirling.

Except when we're late (which is often). Then I don't love it as much.

But I still love her just the same.

And because she had a birthday and this post is about her, here are five more things I love about her:


1. She laughs so loud when she watches the Muppet Show or Donald Duck that you can't help but  laugh with her.
2. She asked for fizzy bath balls for her birthday.
3. She likes to wrap her arms around my neck when I lie down next to her at bedtime.
4. She likes to chase lizards, but never actually catches them.
5. She says "I'm happy that...(insert things like, Lola (the dog) got a haircut") at random times, sometimes long after the thing that made her happy happened.

Oh, and her artistry skills. Let's not forget those. It's not every little girl who, when given the assignment to draw a picture for her school calendar, will draw a bus being mauled by a wolf.

Or a turkey pooping--which is what we got last November. Can't wait to see what she comes up with this year.

Happy Birthday Birdie!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

To this day, I wish we would sent out that second picture for the birth day. One of my very few regrets in life.
--Shawn

Jill Campbell said...

Cute kids. Happy birthday girl #3 Make sure she does a Christmas picture to put on your blog.

GaiaGirl said...

I have one of those magical daughters. One that thinks in her own amazing way. One that was hard for me to let her twirl into strangers in the grocery store aisles--but I finally just decided to let her believe that life really was a musical. I hope she always believes that. Happy Birthday #3.
Melinda

Melinda said...

Awwww, I love these sorts of posts. I always love to hear parents talk fondly of their parents...maybe its my middle child psyche... :)

Happy Birthday #3!

Angela Cothran said...

This is so sweet! I LOVE the picture. I really felt the terror of the bus :) I have a dramatic 6 year old of my own. Nothing is better :)

Melanie Jacobson said...

I think that drawing is proof she's a cool kid.

Jennifer Shorr said...

Delightful. HBB #3

Enjoy Birth said...

That second picture is awesome! I think you should have another baby just to send a picture like that out for a baby announcement!

Paula said...

I love her laugh too.