Voting Rating:

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Mormonism for Drunks

Last weekend I went to Vegas to see my friend Kelly from Cleveland.
We went cooler places than the airport,
but we forgot to take pictures at those places.
It was one of the few bright spots at the end of a hard year. And, let me tell you, Kelly from Cleveland knows how to do Vegas. There's no hanging out in her mother-in-law's basement like yours truly. Nope. There's shopping, and eating good food, and winning money, and staying at nice hotels.

This is not how I do Vegas.

But Kelly from Cleveland let me live vicariously through her, asking me be her personal shopper and buying me a delicious steak at a restaurant with singing frogs and waterfalls that was not Rainforest CafĂ©.* I did, however, miss out on the club with the ladies taking waterless baths and the man wearing the bear head who may or may not have worked there.

Again, this was not my typical Vegas visit to the in-laws.

Kelly's husband Chris and her friend Kathleen also ate delicious steak  with us and later her friend--I'll call him Drunk Larry (mostly because his name is Larry and because he was, in fact, drunk)--showed up to drink some wine and eat our delicious leftovers. We had a very fine time and Larry--as he himself pointed out--was hiLARRYous.

During our lively conversation there were some questions asked/statements made about Mormons. I did an okay job of answering them, but now that I've had a few days to think them over and Larry's had a few days to sober up, I think I'd like to give it another go. I'll leave it to anyone who wasn't at that dinner who may read this blog to guess which questions asked/statements made were from the one among us who was not entirely sober.

You're a Mormon? Where did you park your horse and buggy?
At Brigham Young's house...back in 1858.

The typical form of transportation used by Mormons now looks like this:**
Based on this picture, 2 out of 9 Mormon children will have broken arms at any given time.
 
Is there such a thing as a Mormon high school?
Yes, in some parts of Utah and Idaho. Except it's called public school and isn't actually owned by the Church.
In many parts of the world though, high school age kids attend what we call seminary which is usually held in our church buildings. This is religious instruction that generally happens before school where there isn't a high concentration of Mormons. In Utah, Southern Idaho and parts of Arizona this instruction takes place during the school day in seminary buildings located near high schools and is officially known as released time. It's part of a student's class schedule, but no credit is given for the course. Except in Heaven.

Are there black Mormons?
Yes. Here's one right here:
 
There are more, but I'm not gonna lie. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints--just like most other predominately white Christian churches--has a difficult history when it comes to Black Americans and because of that we don't have nearly the number of black members I would like to see us have. I found this cool site though, if you want to know more about black Latter Day Saints.

Are there gay Mormons?
Yes there are members of the Church who struggle with same-sex attraction. This one is hard because of our belief that gender is eternal and that marriage is between a man and a woman (as a side-note, not all faithful members agree with this). Sex outside of marriage is also considered a sin, thereby resigning someone attracted to another of the same sex to a life of celibacy if he/she wants to remain a fully practicing Mormon.
It's a difficult subject and one that the Church has not always been sensitive to or open about. I think this website is a huge step in the right direction toward a more compassionate approach to same-sex attraction.

Do Mormons get Botox?
At least one of us does:

 
Have you seen Book of Mormon, the musical? Is the history in it right?
I haven't seen it so I don't know for sure. But if it's about a fourteen year old boy named Joseph Smith who, in 1820, read in James 1:5  If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him, decided to put that scripture to the test by asking God which church to join and was answered over a number of years with visions of God, Jesus, and angels and actual gold plates from which we get our Book of Mormon that does not include any dancing, singing, or stages; then yes, the history is correct.
 
Even telling you about it makes me think, this must sound crazy to someone who hasn't heard it before.
 
But no crazier than a virgin giving birth to the son of God and that same son coming back to life after three days and a lot more people (including me) believe those stories.
 
You can read Joseph Smith's experience in his own words here. It's kind of long and doesn't have the same humor as Matt Stone and Trey Parker's version, but I'd venture to say it's better.
 
Does your Mormon God (fill in the blank):
My Mormon God does the same thing as your Jewish/Catholic/Muslim/Christian/whatever God. They're all the same guy, we just recognize and worship Him in different ways. Mormons are different than other Christians in that we don't believe in the doctrine of the trinity. We believe God the Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit are three separate beings and that God and Jesus have bodies of flesh and bone.
There's a lot of people who don't like that about us, but I'm okay with that.
 
If I were a Mormon I wouldn't have lost my phone.
It's true if you were Mormon you probably wouldn't have been drunk, making it easier for you to not lose your phone. But Mormons lose things too.
We even lose things bigger than cells phones. Like jobs or homes or spouses. Sometimes we even lose children. Bad things happen to Mormons just like they happen to other good people. And life can be hard and sometimes we're sad.
But we have this scripture from the Book of Mormon (not the musical) that helps: 2 Nephi 2:25 aAdam bfell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy.
And we have our belief that there has to be opposition in all things. In order to know joy, we have to know misery, in order to feel pleasure we have to feel pain, in order to love we have to grieve.
It doesn't necessarily make things easier when we have hard times, but it brings some peace knowing God isn't mean and basically just wants us to be as happy as He is.
 
There were more questions, but I can't remember all of them and some of them weren't entirely appropriate. Basically it comes down to this: Mormons look a lot like you. Except without the alcohol or coffee. Or the cursing (at least not as much). And maybe a few other things--like more kids--but not always. (For the record, Drunk Larry has one more of those than me).
 
So there you go. A little slice of Mormonism in a nutshell.
 
A very small slice in a very small nutshell.
 
There's really a lot more and you could probably find a lot better answers in some other places, like Mormon.org. But feel free to ask me any questions you may have. I will be happy to answer them if they're asked in a way that doesn't hurt my feelings.*** (Hard questions I'm okay with. Mean questions I'm not--I'm funny that way).
 
* Also there was fry sauce to go with our magically delicious French fries which gives me hope that the fry sauce phenomenon has crossed the Utah border and is finally making it's way West toward me.
 
** Most Mormons do not actually drive red Econo-vans. That was a joke... they're usually white.
 
*** To be clear, my Cleveland friends' questions did not hurt my feelings. Drunk Larry's surprise at finding himself dining with a Mormon was an entertainment highlight of the summer. And my summers are pretty entertaining.



16 comments:

Donna K. Weaver said...

Love it!

Valerie Ipson said...

And see Mormons even have a sense of humor!!!

Loved your post!!! :)

Melanie Jacobson said...

I give this an A++.

Judy said...

This is awesome.

Bill Wright said...

Loved it; well written!

Bill Wright said...

Loved it; well written!

Jennifer Griffith said...

Um, my sister's 12 passenger Econoline is dark blue. But you're right. They're mostly white Econolines. Well said on everything else, too. I love this.

Donna Tagliaferri said...

This blog makes me mad......because I so wish I had written it! Bravo! This is perfect, we need to do this more often. I am going to start the Mormon anti defamation league by militant Mormons....love it.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the fun read! I love how more and more folks are being so open and lighthearted about their faith, and it makes me appreciate and respect my Mormon neighbors and friends more! :) HUGS.

Rena Lesué said...

Actually, the celibacy thing with gay people has been loop-holed as seen on this blog. http://www.joshweed.com/2012/06/club-unicorn-in-which-i-come-out-of.html I think what the Weeds are doing is commendable. They were both open and honest and have a wonderful life together now.

Chris Coffman said...

You made me smile. Many thanks from Provo!

Roseanne's Spot said...

Love it :)

Nicole M. White said...

Great post! Fun answers. Did you know there is also release time seminary in parts of Oregon. Also, yes, Mormons get botox and many other cosmetic treatments. Since moving to Utah a year ago I've seen more ads from cosmetic procedures. I've also been working for a dermatologist and many church members come in for a variety of purely cosmetic treatments. Some Utahns seem to take "be ye therefor perfect" seriously.

Unknown said...

They are also very judgmental and the most critical people you have ever met. I used to go a morman church. (btw, this comment is not meant to bash or be resentful of the Mormon religion. I have no problem with the church and am still friends with those who still attend and practice). I left because of my own free will and there were just some things i didnt agree with and things i wanted to do that they wouldnt allow and ex-communicate me for (not drinking or drugs or sex). I really wanted to get tattoos so i got some that i can easily cover up, one of which is for my 2 dogs, daisy and montana. It is the state outline with a daisy wrapped around it and is placed on my right pectoral. I work at walmart as a cashier and i have a polo shirt with the 3 buttons i leave the top one open. I had moved away and attended a different morman church, but 2 women came through my line at work from my old church. We started up a friendly chat, talking about how i have been doing with college and things and as we were talking, my shirt accidentally came undone and revealed a portion of my daisy montana tattoo. At that very moment, they immediately stopped talking to me, kept to themselves, dropped eye contact and treated me like i was a freak of nature or some criminal...just because they saw my tattoo. All of a sudden, the years i had spent going to the church and becoming friends with the family didnt matter and they judged me and their opinion of me changed right then and there...all because i made a permanent decision, that only effected myself and no one else, they didnt agree with and isnt one of the basics of the religions teachings "love thy neighbor"? My attitude didnt change, im still the same person on the inside, but because i put something on my body, im all of a sudden shunned and treated like a monster? There is nothing wrong with the morman religion/ church: They have the greatest lessons and life values there is to offer to teach to young children and adults...but the fact they will turn their back to you because of one small change you make to yourself that effects nobody but you, is messed up.

Carole said...

So sorry for your treatment. Unfortunately some people just don't get it. I know when I was younger I was much more judgmental than I am today. It is all part of growing up. I am glad that you are not judging the church and its teaching but recognizing some people are not the most loving as they should be if they are following the teaching of our Savior. Hope you find happiness.

Unknown said...

Thank you all for your kind comments!
Mindfreakfan, I am so sorry you have felt judged by a few Mormons. I hope, though, that you see how a blanket statement like, "They are also very judgmental and the most critical people you have ever met" that's made based on the actions of 2 among 14 million Mormons, sounds a little judgmental itself.
I can agree that there are SOME among us who are judgmental and critical, but not all. And I'm pretty sure Baptists, Lutherans, Methodists, Catholics, and every other Christian religion that teaches, "judge not, lest ye be judged" has members who are judgmental and critical.
The number one thing we have in common is that we are all human and we will all fall short of God's expectations at times. I'm grateful He is always willing to forgive us when we do.